What to do when You cannot follow Accounts on Instagram
Following accounts is a crucial part of the Instagram experience, just like commenting or liking posts.
But sometimes when you tap on the follow option for a profile and notice that you cannot seem to follow people on Instagram, it can be a hurdle in the way you use Instagram.
This problem of not being able to follow anyone will happen with every account that you try to follow, no matter how many times you tap the button to follow.
See also : List of Best Instagram caption Generator
How to Follow on Instagram
- To find people to follow, you can browse through your Facebook friends and people from your contact list. For this go to your settings, and tap on Facebook friends and Contacts to find friends you can follow. Tap on the follow button of respective profile.
- You can also tap on and look for users to follow on the explore page as well as the featured stories section. You may also search for particular names and hashtags on the search bar.
- Sync your contacts on Instagram and you will get follow suggestions.
Here are various scenarios that may be preventing you from following someone on Instagram followed by respective solutions.
Scenario #1: The follow button does not change
Whenever you try to follow someone, the user on Instagram gets unfollowed by you immediately on its own.
The option to “follow” suddenly turns to its default mode. If this is your problem then follow the steps as given:
- Once you are logged into your account on Instagram, go to your profile page.
- Click on the settings option
- Under the “Follow People” Section, click on Facebook Friends. A Facebook login window will appear, and you should log into Facebook.
- Once you have logged in on Facebook through Instagram, you can go back to the Instagram app and then attempt to follow someone. Follow the next steps if this did not work.
- Go to Instagram settings as in step 2.
- Scroll down and log out of your account.
- Log back into your Instagram account and try to follow someone. Proceed to the next steps if it still does not work.
- Log out of Instagram and uninstall the app.
- Re-Install Instagram and follow the steps 5, 6 and 7.
You may even try to use the desktop version of Instagram to follow someone. If you are unable to login to Instagram altogether, you can check out this link to fix the problem.
Read more : How to download Instagram Stories.
Scenario #2: If you have been blocked
To test if you have been blocked, you just need to check whether the follow button keeps getting unselected.
If that happens, then the particular user account has blocked you.
In this scenario, you might also get a message saying “You’re temporarily blocked”.
In case there is a bug on the app, you may simply update the app to resolve this issue.
Scenario #3: You have exceeded the amount of following
The following limit set up by Instagram for its user is roughly 160 follow requests per account per day.
If you exceed this limit, Instagram itself disables you from following people as it might suspect you of being a spam account.
You will have to stop following people for a few hours in this situation so that Instagram team does not think of your account being a bot.
Spamming and using bots is against the terms and conditions of Instagram.
Read more : List of Best Instagram Captions for Love
Scenario #4: You account is new
This is a reason few Instagram users know of, but if your account has just been created, you will have to wait a couple of hours before you can start following activity on Instagram.
If your account was recently made, Instagram does not allow you to follow too many people in a short span of time.
For new users, it is recommended that you stick to 100 requests every few hours so that Instagram does not mistake you for a bot.
If you have a business account on Instagram and are new to the app, you can follow some tips and tricks to run the business on instagram.
How Long Until one can get their activity back?
Instagram blocks users from following activity for a minimum of two hours if you have violated their guidelines related to follow/unfollow activity.
To resume following people, there is not much you can do except wait for the ban to be lifted.
You may also contact Instagram on their Help Centre regarding your ban and even request them to remove the ban.
One must make sure that they need to take a precaution of not performing excessive follow request after a ban on them has been lifted as it can get them under Instagram’s violation scanner easily.
Know about : How to Upload GIF to Instagram
Tips to Avoid and Fix the problem of Ban on Unfollow
To eliminate the likelihood of Instagram banning you from certain activity, have a look at some tips below:
- Don’t go overboard on Promotion: It is recommended for business profiles and individual users on Instagram to steer away from using multiple promotion services. If you use several promotion services, you will probably exceed your total daily action limit and Instagram may block your account or even delete it.
It is advisable to not sign in and use your Instagram account while using any automatic method of promotion.
- Post Regularly: Keep a fairly active Instagram presence so that Instagram does not categorise your account as inactive.
- Verify your phone number, e-mail and other details: Complete the details section of your Instagram account by going to settings.
- Keep a Tab on number of actions: Always best to keep a conscious watch on your activities while using Instagram.
- Try to be Genuine: if you run a business account on Instagram, you might have mirror profiles impersonating to be your business account. To avoid such an issue, you can try to get a verified badge for your instagram profile.
Still doubtful? Learn how to master exploring on Instagram by clicking on this article link.
Read more : Here is the List of Best Instagram Captions for Selfies